Wednesday, April 22, 2015


It's a bright beautiful day today on Earth Day and as promised, I took some pictures of my backyard garden today.  We used vintage windows that had been removed from a craftsman style home, fastened them together with flat brackets, and put stakes at each side of the windows. Because we had a little opening at each corner, we used pieces of a roll of white wooden fencing to tie the corners together.

 
 
So left to right shots here with a garden "gate" between.
 
             
 
We sunk two posts and hung a screen door for the "gate".  I painted the top of the screen but didn't realize that it wouldn't show unless we had something dark behind it.  So I painted a thin piece of wood black and nailed it to the back of the door.
 
 

 

 So what have I planted?  Two inch Strawberry corn (for making popcorn on the cob right in the microwave!), Blue Jade corn and Patisson Panache (pattypan) squash, Fin de Bagnol string beans, Green Arrow shell peas, several types of eggplant, several types of peppers, and about eight kinds of tomatoes - small and large.  Everything organic of course.

                
 
And...I'm trying straw bale gardening for the first time (some eggplant and peppers planted in them).  Let me tell you - the ants LOVE those straw bales.  When I am pulling the wheat straw that is growing, I have to be really careful!
 
 
 
And just for good measure, we have a beautiful Japanese maple in the front yard that has been a haven for birds (and squirrels) for several years.  Four bird feeders, a bird bath, and their very own chandelier LOL  So I had to make a sign to hang in the tree (not that any of them, especially the squirrels, need an invitation)!
 
 
 
So I hope you enjoyed this tour of the Cooper garden and I'll post some updates when everything grows (you notice I'm having an optimistic day LOL).  Have a wonderful week!
 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jill! So good to see you back!!! Your garden is outstanding!! And I can't wait to hear more about your adventures with straw bale gardening! Happy gardening friend!! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think.